Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Smoothie

 IMG_1019

Apparently protein is the pregnancy panacea. If I listened to my body I would think it was vanilla ice cream with a heavy dose of ground cinnamon or multiple bowls of cinnamon Puffins. Whatever. Enter my pregnancy smoothie. Now, this smoothie isn’t necessarily for pregnant women only but for some reason it has tasted especially good during my pregnancies and I’ve made an effort to bump up the nutrition to justify the sweet treat.

I crave citrus during pregnancy. This smoothie is a little like an Orange Julius and will fill my craving for ice cream in a pinch. I, of course, still have ice cream at times but…I try.

I don’t measure but here are the ingredients and estimated amounts if you want to give it a try. If there’s a toddler in the house, maybe wait until nap time to mix this up. If Beck’s awake I maybe get a quarter of the smoothie. The other three quarters end up all over him. :)

Milk (about 1/2 cup)

Cottage Cheese (at least 1/2 cup)

Orange Juice Concentrate (about 2 T, maybe more)

Wheat Germ (heaping spoonful)

Flax Meal (heaping spoonful)

Honey (maybe half a tablespoon)

Vanilla Extract (about 1/2 tsp, maybe more)

Ice (I use about 4-5 small cubes)

Wheat Grass Powder or Spinach (sometimes…)

No comments: